Chatsworth Attic Sale furnishings return to Chiswick House

A group of furniture originally belonging to the 5th Duke of Devonshire and his wife, Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire, will be newly exhibited at Chiswick House following extensive conservation when Chiswick House re-opens to the public on 1st April.

A group of furniture originally belonging to the 5th Duke of Devonshire and his wife, Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire, will be newly exhibited at Chiswick House following extensive conservation when Chiswick House re-opens to the public on 1st April.

The group which were acquired in the Chatsworth Attic Sale includes two sets of neo-classical gilt and painted chairs which were part of larger sets used by the Duke and Duchess throughout the first floor of Chiswick House in the late 18th century.

The Bedchamber at Chiswick House circa 1890
Photograph of Chiswick House Bedchamber c.1890

As the photograph reveals, by the 1890s some of the chairs had been grouped in the Bedchamber at Chiswick together with a small ladies’ writing desk. The chairs, roll-top writing desk and a parcel-gilt and simulated rosewood pole-screen, will be returned to the Bedchamber – their last known location in the house.

This furniture, relating to the residency of the Dukes of Devonshire, adds an exciting new dimension to the displays which focus primarily on the house’s first owner and architect, Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington. A mahogany pole-screen designed in about 1730 by Burlington’s protégé and collaborator William Kent has also been acquired. It will be displayed in Lord Burlington’s Blue Velvet room and has been fitted to match the sumptuous wall hangings.

Having been removed to the family estate at Chatsworth in the late 19th century, these pieces were acquired by English Heritage at auction in 2010 with the special assistance of The Art Fund. Conservation has been made possible by the generous support of The Art Fund, Chiswick House Friends and The Pilgrim Trust.

A Neo_Classical chair from Chiswick House after restoration       A picture of a writing desk after restoration 
Neo-classical chair, parcel-gilt and painted beechwood with caned back and seats, c.1785. Acquired and conserved with the special assistance of The Art Fund. Conservation also supported by Chiswick House Friends and The Pilgrim Trust. A Ladies’ roll-top writing desk, veneered in fiddle-back mahogany with gilt-bronze mounts, c.1785. Acquired and conserved with the special assistance of The Art Fund. Conservation also supported by Chiswick House Friends and The Pilgrim Trust

 

        Logo for Art Fund                    Logo for Chiswick House friends                     logo for Pilgrim Trust  

Share this

RSS

This page can be found in the following news feeds

Chiswick House and Gardens News

Keep in touch

Sign Up

Follow us