- Support the Pathways Restoration
- Gold at London in Bloom
- Support the Gardens
- Famous Cedars of Lebanon
- Crowdfunding Update and News
- News Archive 2016
- News Archive 2015
- News Archive 2014
- News Archive 2013
- News Archive 2012
- News Archive 2011
- News Archive 2010
- News Archive 2009
- News Archive 2008
- News Archive 2007
- News Archive 2006
Italian Garden (1814 – 2014)
Celebrating the 200th anniversary of the Italian Garden.
This year to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Italian Garden, 4,500 bedding plants and 300 scented shrub roses have been planted to create a beautiful sea of white with hints of pink and blue; bedding plants include Cosmos, Petunia, Geraniums, Begonias and Elymus.
Free entry daily 7am – dusk.
Conservatory Summer opening hours daily 10:00am – 4:00pm
In 1814, the 6th Duke of Devonshire, commissioned a young landscape gardener, Lewis Kennedy to draw up ideas for a semi-circular 'Italian Garden' in front of the Conservatory that had been completed a year earlier.
The garden's semi-circular design related to the dimensions of the conservatory with a central axis dividing the two parts. The beds were laid out in geometric patterns. In 1880 the then head gardener, Michael May simplified the layout of the garden, mainly for economy of maintenance and this is the design that we still see today.
In 2010, a generous donation from the late Miss Phyliss Bishop allowed Kennedy's border at the rear of the garden to be faithfully restored and planted with China roses, white lilies, hollyhocks, festoons of climbing roses on rope swags and mophead robinias and the borders to be backed by Camellias and evergreens.
Chiswick House and Gardens Trust Gardening team would like to thank the volunteers for all their help with the Summer bed replanting and their ongoing help in maintaining the Italian Garden for all our visitors to enjoy.
This page can be found in the following news feeds